Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day Eight: "Murder Of Crows"



As I progress here I'll begin to write less and paint more... I feel I've said enough over the past few posts.

The distance and clarification I achieved yesterday gave me good insight as to how I want to proceed with painting. As you can see, I've begun to actually block in the figures of the crows, and I've decided to incorporate a few elements from the original three figures that will begin to appear over the next few days.

I was drawn to the surreal idea that crows actually hold each other accountable (in a way) for their actions. Whether this actually turns into a 'murder' remains to be decided, I'm not normally that morbid. I am how ever interested in one of the crows being different from the rest; it would appear that difference will be in his color. This will give me the opportunity to paint some interesting lighting effects, not only with glowing whites, but glowing blacks.

I've been thinking a lot about Marc Chagall, and Morris Graves. Chagall for his glowing, jewel-like color palette, and how he drew his figures almost in cartoon form. In Graves I see the same glowing effects but the figures are seen as though through a scrim of mist, with more subdued color.

Paint well...

No comments:

Post a Comment